| ||USEFUL INFORMATION & LINKS |
Having spent the last 15 years or so travelling to the Alps each year, we would be happy to assist with any questions you may have with regard to booking your holiday and enjoying the wonderful Murtal Valley area to it’s maximum.
Note – a full file of area facts, contacts, piste-maps etc is in the chalet to assist you in planning each day of your holiday.
In addition to the information on the website, we have included numerous links for you to obtain all the facts you require. However please feel free to contact us if you have any concerns, unanswered questions or queries regarding availability of our chalet.
We look forward to hearing from you soon!
Jason & Sharon Munro
GETTING TO AUSTRIA
Numerous budget airlines fly to the Austrian airports, Klagenfurt, Graz and Salzburg. Vienna is a longer journey, but if you have ever spent 4 hours traveling from Toulouse to Andorra, the 261km drive along a mostly motorway route is still quite acceptable. We have, in the past managed to get flights for 99p each way from Liverpool to Salzburg! Try:
Alternatively take your own car across using the Folkestone to Calais channel tunnel. Try:
| || CAR HIRE |
When you have booked your flights it is advisable to hire a car – remembering to book snow-chains in the winter. There are loads of websites for car hire, but we have found the following two companies have reasonable rates and good insurance packages:
| EATING OUT || |
Stadl an der Mur offers a choice of a couple of reasonably priced restaurants within ‘Gasthof’s’, (Guesthouses):
Further restaurants are just 5 minutes away by car in St Georgen / St Lorenzen:
- Gasthof Schafferwirt*** - www.schafferwirt.at
- Golfrestaurant Pfiff, Kaindorf - www.pfiff-murau.at
- Gasthof Zur Post** - www.gasthofpost.com
- Ristorante - Pizzeria Da Silvano - www.silvano.info
- Gasthof Seppenwirt - Tel. +43 (0) 03537 468
- Bierwirtshaus Moser - Tel. +43 (0) 03537 444
- Restaurant S´Beisl, Ferienpark - Tel. +43 (0) 03537 20050
- Gasthof Winter, Bodendorf - Tel. +43 (0) 03537 230
- Grillboden am Kreischberg - Tel. +43 (0) 03537 203
- Kreischbergwirt am Kreischberg - Tel.+43 (0) 03537 325
Even more choice is available in the larger town of Murau, which is well worth the 10 minute drive!
| || PLACES TO SEE |
- The Crystal Museum at Turracher Hohe - with giant crystals of up to 4 tonnes on display
- The Styrian Wood Museum at St Ruprecht - showing there is more to a forest than trees
- The Brewery Museum at Murau - celebrated its 500th anniversary in 1995, showing the history of local beer brewing
- The Murau City Museum - Murau Castle
- Alpine Garden in Fraunalpe - displays the amazing diversity of the regional alpine flora
- Steam Train rides on the Murtalbahn - Between June and September the local railway passes along the Mur Valley
- Vivarium 'Life in Water' at the Gebrenzen Nation Park - Set amongst lovely scenery it showcases native fish life and life in the Amazon. There is also swimming, a recreation area and an information centre and visitors can walk along shore paths, across bridges and rafts and learn about natures complexities in a playful manner. In winter, the exterior area turns into an ice skating rink.
- Günster water fall near Schöder/Krakaudorf - Styria's highest water fall (65 metres) is among the regions most impressive natural sights
- Knittelfeld Model Railway - HO scale model railway built in 1969, is a captivating tiny world that fascinates visitors of all ages
Austria is home to many fine castles that display the fine medieval history of the area. Excellent nearby examples of this type of architechture are Finstergrün Castle near Ramingstein, Mauterndorf Castle, and Moosham Castle, Unternberg near Tamsweg.
By looking through our website we hope you will agree that our chalet offers a comfortable and reasonably priced opportunity to explore this beautiful area.
Clearly there is more to this area than the exhilarating skiing!
We look forward to taking your booking in the very near future